Welcome to Tourism eSchool!
It was great to join you at the 2015 SA Tourism Conference!
We hope you got some great takeaways and you are inspired to get started (or ramp up!) your mobile marketing for your business or region! Below are the key insights & additional resources for you to read as it relates to converting your mobile savvy travel hunters into bookings and brand advocates.
If you would like to learn more about social media, email and customer advocacy check out our Social Media, Blogging and Enewsletters (tip SATIC members get a 20% discount) or if you are Region, Council or Visitor Information Centre you may be interested in our Destination Marketing Mentoring Program.
The Smokin’ Hot Stats
In Rebecca’s presentations she referenced some statistics on online purchasing journey’s, smartphone usage & visual content marketing, so below are links to the authoritative sources with you below for your continued learning.
- Australian MultiScreen Report Q4 2014
- GWI Device Summary – Smartphone Penetration Research
- Think with Google – Our Mobile Planet
- Nielsons – Global Trust in Advertising Survey 2013
- Think with Google – The 2014 Traveller’s Road to Decision
- Digital Sherpa – 25 Amazing Video Marketing Statistics
Key Presentation Takeaways
1. Why Mobile Should be a Focus in 2015
- Because it is where customers are spending a HUGE amount of time!
- There are huge opportunities for tourism brands to better connect with prospects via their mobiles in the Dreaming & Planning stages of their next holiday – not just when they are experiencing a destination.
- Its essential you Identify your most profitable customers to leverage opportunities mobile presents.
- Understand their buying predispositions, and emotional reasoning when it comes to purchasing your product.
- Relevant social media channels and email present exciting opportunities to get your brand in front of your most profitable customers
- Ideal Customer Persona Profiling: The strategic approach to Tourism Marketing
- Google’s Zero Moment of Truth – Online Customer Purchasing Funnel
2. Create epic mobile content
- Regularly create and share epic content (helps, inspires, tells stories) your ideal customers love
- Share it out on social, email and your website blog.
- Use tagging and #hashtags to amplify your content so SATC and Tourism Australia may pick up and share on their social media communities for increasing brand awareness of your tourism experiences.
3. Own your epic mobile content
- Put your epic photo & video content on a blog on your business or region’s website, so you can share it out on social and bring visitors back to your website.
- Regularly send targeted eNews to different customers segments that offers more value than sales, with a focus on your sharing your blog content.
- Why every tourism destination needs to be blogging
- Get mobile or get left behind
- Email Marketing 101: 8 steps to get you started
4. Mobile optimise your social content for maximum mobile engagement
- Post content natively to social media – please don’t link posting from one social media account (eg Facebook), directly to another social media account (eg Twitter!).
- Ensure photos & videos are “Snackable” so they stands out on social. Make photos colourful, close ups, easy to read & punch text. Keep videos short and moving.
- Use photo & video editing tools to make them look as good as possible before sharing online.
- Social mobile is FAST! Share content when your Ideal Customers are likely to be online. Pre-schedule photos/video if it’s at a time you can’t share live.
- 6 free photo-editing tools to create amazing photos
- 4 easy steps to bring video marketing into your tourism business
- 4 social media video ideas for tourism brands
5. Mobile Optimise your email updates for maximum mobile engagement
- Email boxes are overflowing, so you need to work hard to make sure your email has a chance of being opened, read and actioned.
- Avoid your email being deleted by making it from a trusted source – ideally a real person or trusted brand name. Subject lines matter. Keep them short, sharp and engaging. Use header text to let people know what your email is about.
- Get your email read: Ensure it is using a mobile responsive template. Keep it short, sharp and scanable. Use photos & videos where relevant. Put full info on mobile responsive website.
- Get your email actioned: Ideally have just one objective per email. Keep call to actions in a contrasting and consistent colour.
6. Encourage Mobile Social Advocacy
- What your happy customers & visitors say about you is the most trusted form of advertising. Ensure you collect and amplify it!
- Specifically ask and/or enable customers to share photos using your owned hashtag or by tagging you, checking in or leaving a review.
- 3 steps to encourage social advocay of your brand
- 5 ways to get a negative TripAdvisor review
- How to set up and manage your TripAdvisor listing
7. Measure What Matters
- Focus on measurements that matter, how engaged mobile customers are, how well your marketing is going at generating enquiries and sales and how much your customers love you.
- Use social platforms analytics to measure engagement of your content (hard to measure mobile customers only – but you know they are on there!).
- Use google analytics to measure engagement and conversions of mobile customers from social and email. (Tip > Watch the video below where we show you how to set up a new website visitor segment so you can track mobile visitors to your website)
- Track what customers are saying about you online.
- KPI’s for your social media dashboard
- How to use Google Analytics to measure website engagement
- How to set up goals in Google Analytics
Have a question about the content in the presentation?
If you have any questions regarding what you are or have learnt in our Workshops, then jump into our Linked In Group – Tourism eSchool’s Tourism Marketing Community, and we will be sure to assist!
Get access to our FREE Tourism Marketing eBook
Finally, we’d love to invite you to subscribe to our database, where you will not only receive our FREE Tourism Marketing eBook ’50 Hot Marketing Tips for Tourism Businesses‘, but you will also be sent monthly enewsletters jam-packed full of marketing insight, and you’ll be the first to know about our FREE tourism marketing webinars which we will be hosting in 2015!