Tenterfield + New England High Country
Tourism Mentoring Program for Operators in the New England High Country
We were approached by the team at Tenterfield Shire Council in May 2020, to develop a mentoring program to support operators and local businesses throughout the region with new insights around how visitors have changed as well as building their capacity in developing experiences and best practice marketing for the postCOVID traveller.
Our proposed ‘Tourism Mentoring Program’ was strategically designed to not only educate but inspire and empower participants to take action to develop and market their businesses to drive demand for not only for their experiences, but to work more collaboratively as a metro destination to drive increased visitation and yield for their region.
64 participants are enrolled in the Program, with representation across all industry sectors, including genuine local businesses.
We took participants on a deep dive to understand how to navigate the current economic climate surrounding COVID-19, and how to prepare their experience and marketing strategy to restart in a changed environment.
The Program not only covered all of the 'How To' basics of key digital marketing platforms, but showed participants how the relationship between their experience, their visitors, and strategic marketing tactics come together to achieve business objectives, and can drive real growth & sustainability, which is of particular importance in the current economic climate.
Marketing + Enrolments
Tenterfield Shire Council promoted the Program via their industry communication channels and those of their counterparts throughout the New England High Country and managed the applications/enrolments.
We published a pre-program survey to gather insights from the participants on key issues/challenges they faced in marketing their business, which helped us to refine our learning materials and concepts to ensure the operators could have all their questions answered.
The Program consisted of 6 Marketing Modules to be delivered over a 3 month period (October - December 2020).
We worked closely with the team at Tenterfield Shire Council to refine the training topics covered in the Modules to ensure key skill gaps were addressed.
The six learning Modules covered in the Program were
- Tourism Landscape, Best Practice Tourism Marketing + Ideal Customers
- Creating Exceptional Experiences
- Website Marketing Strategy
- Search Engine Optimisation
- Social Media Strategy
- Reputation Management, Customer Advocacy + Location Based Marketing
- All of the modules were delivered via an interactive 1.5 hour live online webinar, which were facilitated fortnightly.
- All webinars were recorded, so those participants who couldn’t attend the workshop or webinars live could watch the replays.
Mentoring + Learning Materials
- Bespoke learning materials (workbooks, templates and Marketing toolkit) were created and supplied to support the key learnings in the webinars. Each Module consisted of a set of Tasks, which were practical actions that each business could implement straight away
- All learning materials (including recorded live webinar + replay of the live workshops) were made available to participants within 24 hours after each module.
- Local tourism business case studies were used throughout the webinars, making the learning materials as relevant as possible for the participants
- A private Facebook Group was used to further engage participants and enable them to ask and receive support during the Program, and then a further 4 weeks after the final webinar.
Program Extension July-September 2021 (Round 2)
We are currently facilitating an extension of the Program, inviting new participants into the Program and supporting all participants via live Zoom Mentoring Sessions throughout July-September 2021.
The Zoom Calls will give participants the opportunity to ask specific questions about the implementation of their learnings.
The program is still in progress, so we will update you with the Feedback and Results of the Program once it is available 🙂
Are you ready to invest in a training program for your industry?
If you would like to learn if we could help you with a similar training program for Tourism Operators in your State or Region, then we would be delighted to hear from you, so please contact us and we will be in touch as soon as possible!