Welcome to Tourism eSchool
It was great to join you at the 2016 Tourism Fest in the West!
We hope you got some great takeaways from our presentation and you are inspired to get started (or ramp up!) your storytelling! Below are the key insights & additional resources for you to read as it relates to our presentation on “Telling & Selling your West Side Story”.
1. Understanding Your Customers & How they Purchase Tourism Product
- Identify your Ideal Customer(s)
- Understand their buying predispositions, and emotional reasoning when it comes to purchasing your product.
- Identify key online platforms in your Ideal Customer’s ZMOT where you can get your brand in front of them.
- How can you address your Ideal Customers ‘micro-moment’ behaviours?
- What’s your Unique Selling Proposition?
- The Customer Buying Funnel: The Stages your customers go through as they purchase tourism product
- Ideal Customer Persona Profiling: The strategic approach to Tourism Marketing
- Google’s Zero Moment of Truth – Online Customer Purchasing Funnel
- Google’s ‘Your Guide to Winning the Shift of Mobile’ – MicroMoments’
2. Website Must Haves to Tell & Sell Your Story
- Ensure your website is optimised for mobile handsets & tablets
- Keep copy on major landing pages succinct, segmented and easy to understand (clear USP)
- Use clear call to action buttons on relevant pages
- Ensure your whole purchasing experience is optimised for mobile (including external booking engines)
- 3 step checkout process maximum!
- Place call to actions (enews signups, booking buttons, contact forms) are located on relevant web pages
- Ensure your contact page is optimised
- Display testimonials (with photos) on product pages & near checkout
- Use hyperlinks throughout text
- Optimise ‘Error 404’ Pages
- Optimise ‘Thank You’ Pages (email opt-in, after purchase, after enquiry)
- Undertake reverse path analysis using ‘Goals’ in Google Analytics to determine high converting pages, and pages that require optimisation
Set up a Blog
- Talk to your web developer for quote to set up OR include a new Blog in new website design
- Ensure that your website is mobile optimised
- Website navigation needs to be considered. Ideally top level menu.
- Google Analytics on your website essential to track conversions from blog content
- Use ‘Yoast SEO’ Plugin for WordPress websites
- Get training to show you how to create new post, upload & embed images and optimise for search engines.
- Stat Counter Global Stats: Mobile vs Desktop Usage December 2010 – December 2015
- Think with Google ‘The 2014 Traveller’s Road to Decision’
- Check your website mobile responsiveness > http://ami.responsivedesign.is/
- Get Mobile, or Get Left Behind: How to Get your Business or Destination Website Mobile Optimised
- Tourism Website Conversion Tactics: Turn More Website Visitors into Paying Customers
- How to Create an Engaging Tourism Website
- The Key Components to a Jaw-Droppingly Good Blog
3. Create & Leverage High Converting Content for your Blog
- Know your customer’s needs, wants, desires, emotional drivers to purchase
- Develop content calendar to target ideal customers
- Governance – tone, style, frequency
- Prioritise authenticity – speak in 1st person, gather stories from employees
- 1 single message per article
- 500+ words per article – write for visitors 1st, search engines 2nd
- Use images / video to support written content
- Avoid large paragraphs, use headings, short sentences and dot points
- Use relevant call to actions
- Audit current image bank, identify gaps
- Address your ideal customer’s needs / wants
- Hero images
- Product images
- Experience images
- Images with & without people
- Take images yourself – Smartphone Apps, Desktop Apps
- Professional Photography – Brief, coordinate shoot, location recce & talent
High Quality Video
- Audit current video bank, identify gaps
- Address your ideal customer’s needs / wants
- ‘About’ promotional video
- ‘Virtual Tour’ of Product
- ‘How to’ or ‘Experience’ videos
- Video Series – eg. A day in the life
- Take video yourself – Smartphones, Desktop Editors
- Professional Videography – Brief, coordinate shoot, location recce, scripting
- Audit current offline content
- Decide if there is any content that can be repurposed to support your blog content strategy
Leveraging Brilliant Content
- Find appropriate content
- Organise the content, so that it makes sense for your Ideal Customer
- Get permission from content owners to use it in your blog post and attribute them
- Elevate/enhance content to spark your Ideal Customer’s interests
- Use the direct embed feature in social platforms in your post
- 3 Content Themes that Attract & Convert Customers
- Curating & Re-purposing Content: Leverage what’s already online to save you time!
- 6 FREE Photo Editing Tools to Create Amazing Photos
- 2 Steps to take better Social Media Photos on your Smartphone
- 3 Ways to Get Stunning Photos and Videos for Social Media
- 4 Social Media Video Ideas for Tourism Brands
- 4 easy steps to bring video marketing into your tourism business
4. Optimise & Share your Content
- Optimise your content for Search Engines
- Publish Once, Syndicate Everywhere – Social & Emarketing
- Use #melbswest so that the destination can group all of it’s brilliant content in one spot for resharing
- Tag @Love_The_West @visitmelboune & @Australia to share unique content
- Discover popular hashtags in Iconosquare – as it relates to the content subject eg. Food, wine, animals etc
- ONLY USE APPROPRIATE HASHTAGS – Don’t overdo it!
- Look into using a social listening / scheduling / management tool to streamline your content sharing such as Hootsuite, Buffer & Co-Schedule
- Read our blog posts on Search Engine Optimisation Strategy
- Read our blog posts on Social Media Strategy
Have a question about what you have learnt?
If you have any questions regarding what you have learnt in the Presentation, then post your question on our Facebook Page and we will be sure to assist!
Stay in Touch!
Finally, we’d love to invite you to subscribe to our own email database, where you will receive free monthly enewsletters jam-packed full of marketing insight. You’ll also be first to know when our Mentoring Programs open for enrolment later this year. We practice what we preach in the presentation, so you can ensure we only share valuable & relevant updates!