3 Story Ideas for Social Media Posts and Blog Articles
Published on August 20, 2021
Are you looking for ideas of content to share on Social Media or your Blog?
Are you wondering what you should be posting on your destination or business Social Media channels as you emerge from Covid-19 restrictions?
Following are three stories ideas that you can tell via social media or your blog that will help attract and convert more of your Ideal Customer to visit your Tourism Business or Destination, and help keep your business or destination top of mind as we emerge in the new post-covid vaccinated travel future.
1. Inspiring Stories
Travel is all about inspiration.
I know I have chosen many a travel destination after seeing a single, beautiful photo or short video of a destination.
Research also tells us that people are increasingly choosing a tourism product or destinations based on a photo or video seen online.
Inspiring stories are also also what stops people scrolling their newsfeeds, and escape from whatever they are doing for a few seconds!
Inspiring stories also keep your destination or business top of mind, ready for when people can travel again post covid.
- Beautiful views and landscapes of your business or destination
- Delicious looking food, ideally with a view behind it to show a sence of place.
- Colourful sunrises or sunsets
- Authentic wildlife interactions
- Interesting activities, such as ones that are relevant to your Ideal Customers, such as wine tasting, hiking, fishing, relaxing etc.
- Seasonal changes and what that means to your destination – snow, floods, rain, autumn etc
2. Helpful Stories
Everyone loves it when they find a solution to their problem.
Your guests or destination visitors have a number of challenges and questions that need answering, such as
- What shall we do?
- What shall we see?
- Where do we eat
- What's on?
When you help people, it builds trust with them, they remember you, and they are more likely to consider your tourism experience when the time is right for them to buy or visit.
To come up with this these story ideas, think about the specific questions your Ideal Customers ask you as a business owner or about your destination if you are working in destination marketing or visitor servicing.
What problems can you solve through a blog article on your website or an informative photo/video shared on social media media?
- What's On: Share what events are coming up relevant to your Ideal Customer.
- Best Of: List posts of things like best "coffee"/"playgrounds"/"look outs" etc that relate to your Ideal Customers
- Where to eat: Such as where’s the best spot for breakfast, coffee, casual lunch with kids etc.
- Itineraries: People love help planning their visits. Put together blog articles like "A Day In <location x>" or "48 Hours in <Location x>" or "How to get your <business/destination> from <destination y>"
- Visit Queensland share many super helpful blog articles to help plan a trip to Queensland.
3. Everyday Unusual Stories
Our Tourism Businesses and Destinations are made up of everyday stories that are often taken for granted by businesses or destinations.
However, to our potential visitors or customers, these stories can be high engaging, entertaining and inspiring.
Often authentic behind the scenes or a day in the life content are of real interest to our customers and visitors.
They share more of who we are, what makes our tourism experience unique and help build all important trust with potential customers.
When we run workshops with Tourism Business or Destinations, we find they can come up with many story ideas around the themes of People, Place and Product.
- People – a day in the life of a staff member, interview your visitors visitors, interview or share a story of a local character in your region.
- Place – what's happening that's unique? Think weather events, wildlife, seasonal impacts, sunrise/sunsets
- Product – share behind the scenes of your business, event or destination. Take visitors in your kitchen, out on tour, in the vineyard etc
- Behind the scenes – events, businesses processes etc.
Others who are sharing great Inspiring, Helpful and Everyday Unusual Story?
Over our years are training, following our our current mix of tourism brands doing a great job storytelling online, as at 2021.
- South Australia > Blog, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube
- Tourism Australia > Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- Visit Queensland > Blog, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- Tropical North Queensland >Instagram, Facebook, Blog
- Limestone Coast > Facebook, Instagram, Blog
- Clare Valley > Blog, Facebook, Instagram
- Innamincka Hotel > Facebook
- The Kangaroo Sanctuary Facebook, Instagram
- Margaret River Discover Tours> Facebook, Instagram
- Penneshaw Beach Stay > Instagram
- Golding Wines > Instagram
Over to you
Which of these story ideas could you start telling about your tourism brand today on Social Media or your Blog articles?
This article was first written in 2018 and updated in mid 2021.