3 Steps to Start Your New Year Marketing off with a Bang
Published on November 28, 2017
The end of a year is a fantastic time to clear the decks so you can hit the ground running with your marketing in the New Year.
Take a bit of time over the Holiday period to carry out these 3 simple tasks to help you get organised and ready to tackle the new year head on and kicks some great marketing goals!
There is nothing like starting the New Year with a good clean out and declutter! It helps you create space and energy for new or existing marketing projects.
Unsubscribe from emails.
If you are like me, you have subscribed to a number of email newsletters over the year, only to find yourself deleting many of them without reading them. As new email newsletters arrive in your inbox, ask yourself if its content is adding value to your day? If not, don’t just delete, take an extra second and find that “Unsubscribe” option at the bottom of the email and hit it! (Hopefully not our Tourism eSchool updates!!)
Clear your to do list.
Are there things that have been hanging on your to-do list for a while?
Reassess why you haven’t done them, then make a decision to either delete them, delegate them or recommit to getting them done in the new year!
Clear your desk.
Throw out any old paperwork you don’t need need or archive somewhere off your desk!
Tidy Computer files.
Has your computer filing been getting out of control?
Go through and tidy or delete of old projects.
Clear your Inbox.
Go through and delete or archive any emails that are no longer needed.
Next up, do a mini-review on how your marketing has gone in the last 6 months.
Using Google Analytics and your Booking System, have a look at:
- What have been the top 4 marketing tactics that have brought you new business/visitors in the last 6 months?
- What marketing tactics haven’t you seen any bookings from?
Using TripAdvisor, other review websites, social media platforms, guest books or verbal feedback to staff, have a look at:
- What have been the top positive feedback from customers?
- Are there any reoccurring negative feedback you need address in your products/services?
Building on your customer feedback & booking and sales review, ask yourself:
- Are your products still attracting your Ideal Customers?
- Do you need to do any product tweaks based on Ideal Customer feedback?
Reviewing the social media channels you are active on, have a look at:
- What social media channels had the most engaged community?
- What stories themes and formats received the best engagement?
- Using Google Analytics, look at which social channels have brought the most engaged visitors to your website. (Head to Aquisition > Referral Source > Social). Engaged customers are those who spend the most time on your site, visit the most pages and make bookings!
Based on your mini-review, plan out some priority projects and marketing tactics for the next 3 – 6 months.
- What are your key priorities for the coming 3 – 6 months?
- What can you do MORE of to attract more Ideal Customers?
- What can you do LESS off ?
- Are there a major marketing project you need to get started on? This could be a new website, new content creation, communication with customers on email, new photoshoot etc?
Whatever priorities you come up with, please make sure you are clear on the below, otherwise the priority may be still on your to-do list at the end of next year!!
- Who is responsible?
- When will they do it by?
- What resources are needed (eg website update, new skills, new external contractors, budget?
If you don’t use project management software already, we highly recommend you check out the free software www.asana.com.
We couldn’t live without here at Tourism eSchool, as it keeps us on track and cuts down on those pesky emails when working on projects.
We also live by our wall calendars to map out important dates for the coming year.
If you are looking for a good one with lots of space to write on then, we love the wall planner from www.neuyear.net
Over to you.
What you do in your business to get organised and motivated for the coming 6 – 12 months?