It was great to join you at the 2016 SA Tourism Conference!
We hope you got some great takeaways and you are inspired to get started (or ramp up!)
your blogging strategy for your business or destination!
1. How Storytelling Can Drive Tourism Demand
- Stories play a very important role in attracting your Ideal Customers while they are dreaming and researching their next holiday.
- Storytelling = No selling, Emotions (not facts), Authenticity + Realness, Resonance + Intimacy
- How Stories can Build your Tourism Brand
- Brand Storytelling – Ideas, Intimacy, Resonance
- The Power of Brand Storytelling – The Travel Industry Edition
2. Share Stories that Meet your Ideal Customer’s Needs
- Your Ideal Customers are spending hundreds of ‘micro-moments’ online researching travel leading up to booking and experiencing product
- Your Challenge is to create and share stories to capture customers in their ‘Micro-Moments’
- Ideal Customer Persona Profiling: The strategic approach to Tourism Marketing
- Google’s ‘Your Guide to Winning the Shift of Mobile’ – MicroMoments’
- RESEARCH – Travel Trends: 4 Mobile Moments Changing the Consumer Journey
3. Start Blogging to Tell & Sell your SA Story
- Blogging is a critical marketing tactic, with articles influencing your Ideal Customers in all 5 Stages of Travel.
- Set up a blog as a SUB-FOLDER on your website eg. www.mywebsite.com/blog
- Check out Tropical North Queensland’s Blog, or Tourism & Events Queensland’s Blog for functionality requirements
- The Key Components to a Jaw-Droppingly Good Blog
4. How to Create a Super Engaging Blog Post
Create Brilliant Content
- Know your customer’s needs, wants, desires, emotional drivers to purchase (eg. Micro-Moments’)
- Develop content calendar to target ideal customers
- Governance – tone, style, frequency
- Prioritise authenticity – speak in 1st person, gather stories from employees
- 1 single message per article
- 500+ words per article – write for visitors 1st, search engines 2nd
- Use images / video to support written content
- Avoid large paragraphs, use headings, short sentences and dot points
- Use relevant call to actions
- Audit current offline content
- Decide if there is any content that can be repurposed to support your blog content strategy
Curate & Elevate Content
- Find appropriate content
- Organise the content, so that it makes sense for your Ideal Customer
- Get permission from content owners to use it in your blog post and attribute them
- Elevate/enhance content to spark your Ideal Customer’s interests
- Use the direct embed feature in social platforms in your post
- Pure Michigan (destination blog) >
- Queensland (destination blog) >
- Travel Oregon (destination blog) >
- British Columbia (destination blog) >
- Thala Beach Resort (operator blog) >
- Seppeltsfield Vineyard Cottage (operator blog) >
- Just One Way Ticket (travel blog) >
- Tropical North Queensland (destination blog) >
- Adventure Bay Charters (operator blog) >
- Anekdotique (travel blog) >
- RESEARCH – Content Marketing Australia’s 4th Annual Content Marketing in Australia 2016: Benchmarks, Budgets & Trends
- 3 Content Themes that Attract & Convert Customers
- Curating & Re-purposing Content: Leverage what’s already online to save you time!
- 6 FREE Photo Editing Tools to Create Amazing Photos
- 2 Steps to take better Social Media Photos on your Smartphone
- 3 Ways to Get Stunning Photos and Videos for Social Media
- 4 Social Media Video Ideas for Tourism Brands
- 4 easy steps to bring video marketing into your tourism business
5. Get Maximum Exposure for your Posts
- Optimise your content for Search Engines
- Publish Once, Syndicate Everywhere – Social & Emarketing
- Use relevant destination #hashtags so that your destination marketing organisation can group all of it’s brilliant content in one spot for resharing
- Tag relevant users to share unique content
- Discover popular hashtags in Iconosquare – as it relates to the content subject eg. Food, wine, animals etc
- ONLY USE APPROPRIATE HASHTAGS – Don’t overdo it!
- Look into using a social listening / scheduling / management tool to streamline your content sharing such as Hootsuite, Buffer & Co-Schedule
- Think with Google ‘The 2014 Traveller’s Road to Decision’
- Read our blog posts on Search Engine Optimisation Strategy
- Read our blog posts on Social Media Strategy
Have a question about what you have learnt?
If you have any questions regarding what you have learnt in the Presentation, then post your
question on our Facebook Page and we will be sure to assist!
Join our Community!
Finally, we’d love to invite you to subscribe to our own email database, where you will receive
free monthly enewsletters jam-packed full of marketing insight.
You’ll also be first to know when our Destination Marketing Mentoring Program & Tourism Marketing Academy + Mastermind are open for enrolment.
We practice what we preach in the presentation, so you can ensure we only share valuable & relevant updates!